Monday, December 7, 2009

First "Official Client"

After years of shopping for people I finally decided to sit down and come up with a legit way of getting paid while doing what I enjoy - shopping. Mere days after making this decision and announcing it to friends and family (before I had even decided on a name for my business) my first official client appeared. Funny how finding items for her is normally a breeze, but with the pressure on every thing changed!

Her outfit was to be a gift from her husband, to celebrate an upcoming birthday. As this was not a surprise, he gave me permission to get her idea of the perfect outfit. She showed me a pair of flat, chestnut colored riding boots she had recently purchased but had nothing to wear with them and wanted to branch out from the obvious brown look. She has a nice, athletic shape and I wanted to create a look that was both age-appropriate and yet fun and sexy; a look that could be worn to work on casual Friday, but also versatile enough to mix and match with other basics in her closet. So I went straight to Polyvore and came up with a general idea of what I wanted to see her in. This was my first thought - from a color and silhouette perspective, based on a set I created for a friend who was trying to find the best way to wear black with chestnut/medium brown:


So I set out to find a few pieces that would work with her husband's budget of $115. Typically, I have my standard places to start with but after not having much luck with my vision, I took a break and popped into Sears to find some batteries for my cordless mouse and VOILA! I see this gray belted blazer by Apostrophe and instantly get a few ideas. I come across a cream ruffled tank, also by Apostrophe, on my way to the register. With a few convenient holiday sale prices the total comes to $55.

Next up are the bottoms. I know she wants a skirt, because she never wears skirts. Because of her height, shape and higher waist, I hesitate on the skirts I see, feeling as though none will really fit her personality or the look she would love. So I step out on a limb and buy her a pair of skinny jeans! Macy's had the Tommy Hilfiger Spirit skinny jeans on sale so they came to an awesome $55!

Imagine my surprise a few days later when I see her out for date night wearing the outfit, except she ditched the flat boots for the last thing I would have expected her to wear - high heel ankle boots! The sexy jeans made her push the limits and I was loving every bit of it, though not nearly as much as I am sure her husband did!


Success Achieved!!

Love, Amata

No comments: